If you are looking for a good way to lose weight that is suitable for everyone of all ages, sociable and helps you get into the outdoors then cycling is a good choice. Cycling will help you burn calories, improve your overall health and fitness and give you a good workout.
Here are some benefits of doing cycling to lose weight:
- By increasing your heart rate you will burn fat and calories, which will help you achieve your weight loss goals
- It improves your all around health – cycling will improve your cardiovascular fitness which will help with reducing risk of heart disease, as well as help with improving your aerobic fitness in all other types of exercise.
- Increase your fitness levels – both your endurance and strength are improved
- Improves strength in the major muscle groups – legs, hip muscles, hamstrings, quads and glutes.
- It is a low impact exercise that doesn’t place a huge impact on your joints when compared to other forms of exercise such as running.
- It easy to learn and doesn’t require any special training. Just hop a bike and pedal!
Tips for Losing Weight with Cycling
Try Cycling With Others
Although some might find a solitary bike ride peaceful, others might find it helpful to have others to ride along with you. Apart from the social aspect of riding together, you will also have the benefit of staying accountable to a set time and date which will help you avoid skipping a session.
Cycling Indoors vs Outdoors
There are benefits to both. On days where the weather does not permit an outdoor ride then having a home bicycle will mean you won’t miss out on your workout. Also, some people actually prefer to workout at home because they might be too conscious of their fitness levels, or simply because of the convenience.
On the other hand, riding outside has the benefit of being out in nature and taking in the fresh air. Choose whatever option is best for you.
Set A Schedule and Stick to it
Setting a time and place will help ensure you will stick to your goals and complete your training programme. Although weight loss is your ultimate goal, it is better to set a fitness and distance target instead. If you make improvements in your fitness and increase the distance that you are cycling naturally over time you will be able to lose weight.
If you lose weight as your sole measurement you may be discouraged if you don’t lose any weight immediately even though you are still making progress elsewhere.
As you can see cycling as an exercise is a good option to lose weight, and if you use these tips you will be able to improve your fitness, burn more calories and lose weight.